This course is for dental assistants that already have experience. This course is approved by the Florida Board of Dentistry. At least six months of continuous on-the-job training in chair side dental assisting is required. This course is approved for certification and training in Expanded Functions for dental auxiliaries in Florida per Florida Statutes, Section 466.024(6) and Board of Dentistry Rule 64B5-16.005. Signed acknowledgement of meeting these prerequisites is required. Participants may be dismissed from course if found lacking appropriate dental experience.
Course Description: This certification course provides knowledge of and evaluates the students’ ability to perform Expanded Functions, required by the State of Florida. It is conducted in a dental office setting, allowing the student to utilize the equipment and materials used on a day to day basis in a dental office. Upon completion of the course, the student will be tested and must pass all clinical competencies in order to receive certification.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to do the following:
- Complete Preliminary Dental Charting
- Understand and Perform Infection Control
- Apply Sealants/Topical Fluoride
- Polish Restorations/Clinical Crowns
- Place/Remove Periodontal Dressings
- Make Impressions for/Fabricate Study Casts
- Fabricate/Cement Temporary Crowns/Bridges
- Place/Remove Temporary Restorations
- Place/Remove Non-Vasoactive Retraction Cord
- Place/Remove Matrices
- Remove Excess Cement/Bonding
- Monitor Nitrous Oxide
- Remove Sutures
- Place/Remove Dental Dams
Continuing Education Coursework is not under the purview of the Commission for Independent Education.